You only get one chance to make a first impression! When it comes to selling your home, attention to detail could be pivotal in securing an early sale at the best possible price.
Most buyers have a good idea of their preferred location, minimum accommodation needs and ideal style of property. Yet it is often presentation that makes the greatest difference. A well-presented property not only looks more attractive, but also suggests that the owners have cared for it and regard it as their home.
So here are a few tips that we hope sellers might find useful:
- A new coat of paint on the front door gives a great first impression.
- A tidy property suggests that storage space is not a problem, so make a point of clearing away any unnecessary clothes, toys, magazines, crockery, etc.. You never know when you might have a viewing.
- Go through your house and donate anything you no longer need to charity.
- Have the carpets professionally cleaned.
- Introduce positive smells such as fresh coffee, baking bread and freshly mown grass.
- Check that the grouting/sealant in the bathroom is not discoloured.
- Make sure all the lights work and the house is well-lit – even during the day.
- Avoid hanging too much on the back of doors. Overcrowded hooks prevent doors from opening fully, making rooms look smaller.
- Keep the windows sparkling clean, inside and out.
- Ensure the garden is tidy, lawn mown, leaves cleared away, beds attractive. Screen off any unsightly areas – and keep the car clean as well.
- Check and repair any dripping taps, leaking gutters, squeaking hinges, etc..
When the time comes for you to sell, why not contact one of our property marketing consultants who will be happy to provide specific advice about preparing your own property for sale without obligation. Our number is 01245 266765